Well, we had some time to digest this past week of results for New York City FC. The club got a 0-1 against Montreal Impact, and a 1-1 draw away against Chicago Fire. Are these results what you expected? Let’s talk about it.
1. Jack Harrison, who is looking to earn his first international cap, has double digit goals this season. The goal he scored in Montreal puts his count at 10.
2. With only 29 minutes of playing time, David Villa registered five shots, two on target. He came on for Rodney Wallace, who with the assist had six shots, two of which were on target, in 61 minutes. Villa and Wallace took first and second respectively on number of shots. Overall, the team took 22 shots, but only six were on target.
3. With this win, NYC, at 55 points, bypassed last season’s finish of 54 points, and also earned a record 16th win of the season.
3. In the Chicago match, the number of shots and the number of shots on target were half of what they were in Montreal, 11 and 3 respectively.
4. Villa’s goal puts him at 20 for the season, second player in league history to score 20+ goals in two seasons, first to do it in consecutive seasons.
43': YES!!! THAT'S IT!!! FIRST PLAYER IN MLS HISTORY TO SCORE 20+ IN BACK-TO-BACK SEASONS!!! DAVID VILLA THE KING!!! 1-1! #CHIvNYC
— Roddy Russell Jr. (@rrusselljr93) October 1, 2017
5. City’s record for matches conceding the first goal is now 5W-3D-7L, Before the conclusion of this match, the record was the best in the league this season.
? 0 – 1 ?
— New York City FC (@NYCFC) October 1, 2017
6. City has scored only one goal in each of six of the last seven matches. In that span, the Blues only collected 10 points out of a possible 21 (2W-4D-1L). Before this stretch of matches, City was scoring at a rate of 1.88 goals per match. That has dropped to 1.66, lower than what it was last year with two matches left to play (1.78).
7. Atlanta United surprising lost their game in hand at home to Minnesota United. So City remains in second place going in to match day 33.
Four out of six points is fair, but the performance has to be much improved. The club needs to go into playoffs on a hot streak. The way to do that is to bang in goals. Another brace or hat trick would be nice right about now…
Up next is New England, with the American football lines on the field. Take care of your eyes, fam.
Let’s leave Maxi alone, guys, even ESPN FC is giving him a hard time.